Economic Development
Click to Home

Go To Search
Section Links
Residential Construction

Before you begin residential construction within Seabrook city limits you must contact the City of Seabrook Building Department. Permits are required and certain guidelines and codes must be followed.

What type of projects need permits?
Most construction requires a Building Permit, however, cosmetic changes and non-structural repairs may not require one.  If in doubt, please contact the building department.

  • Storage Buildings
  • Swimming Pools, including hot tubs and spas over 24" deep
  • Driveway or Patio Extensions
  • New Roofs or Roof Repairs
  • Patio covers, porches and sun rooms
  • Foundation repairs and re-adjustments
  • House or Building Moving
  • Building Demolition
  • Gas Reconnections
  • Electrical Reconnections (if meter has been removed)
  • Air Conditioning Unit and Water Heater replacements
  • Permanent and Temporary Signs and Banners
  • Trade Work - Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC
  • Tree Removal
  • Fill Permits
  • Others

Please Note
Work requiring permits cannot start until the permit is issued by the Building Department. Permit applications must be reviewed and approved by department staff and all fees are calculated at that time.  We accept MasterCard and Visa payments for building permits and registrations.

Can I do the work myself as the home owner?
Most types of construction and repair work can be completed by the home owner except work being completed on Electrical, Heating & Cooling systems and Plumbing systems. Texas State law does allow home owners with a Homestead Exemption on their property to pull their own plumbing permits and complete the work. If in doubt, please contact the building department.

Contractors performing work in the City of Seabrook are required to register with the Building Department.
See the Permitting page for the application and requirements.

How do I obtain a Building Permit?
The Homeowner, General Contractor or Licensed Trade Contractor are required to fill out a Permit Application Form available at City Hall, second floor, in the Building Department. 

Required Documents For NEW Residential Construction
The owner, architect, or general contractor will have to submit to the Building Department the following documents for plan review and approval (please provide information in a digital format):

  • Two (2) complete sets of floor plans/blueprints with calculations, including, but not limited to, elevations, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and structural.  The plans must show and dimension all building lines & easements at suitable scale: 1/4" = 1', unless otherwise noted, including square footage.  Foundation Plans and Framing Plans must have the seal of a structural engineer, registered in the State of Texas.
  • Foundation Plan(s) - ALL copies must have an original Texas registered Structural Engineer's seal and signature.  Copies of the signature and seal will NOT be accepted.
  • Framing Plans must include structural ceilings, floors, roofs, and walls.  All new home construction and commercial projects must be signed and sealed by a registered Texas Structural Engineer.  Copies are not acceptable.
  • Plot Plan and Site Survey, including a legal description.  the survey must have been completed by a professional surveyor and have their stamp or seal.
  • Elevation Certificate
  • Windstorm Requirements - an engineer must supply the calculations for the required 120-mph wind load.  These calculations must be signed and sealed by a registered Texas Structural Engineer.  The engineer must be in the TDI list of registered engineers to work in high wind load zones.
  • Third party Energy Code - passed, signed, dated

Community Development
1700 1st St.
Seabrook, TX 77586

Ph: (281) 291.5669
Fx: (281) 291.5690

Sean Landis

Building Official
Nick Kondejewski

Building Inspector
Matthew Littleton

Code Enforcement
Alana Rohlfs

Alesia Hammock

Vivian Ramos

Connect with Us