Most construction projects in the City of Seabrook need a Building Permit, except for minor cosmetic changes and non-structural repairs. You can email permit applications and plan documentation to

Before starting any work, make sure your project falls within the City of Seabrook's limits by checking the Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) website.

Permits must be issued by the Building Department before work begins, and applications need approval from department staff. Fees are calculated during the review, and you can pay them online or in person with cash, check, MasterCard, or Visa. Phone payments are not accepted.

If your project involves Todville, Red Bluff, or Repsdorph Roads, note that these are Harris County Right of Ways. You need a County Approval Certificate for any Utilities Work, and culvert/driveway work on these roads requires Harris County Engineering Permits. Contact the Harris County Engineering Department at (713) 274-3920.

For details on code editions and regulations, check the Building Code page.

Permits are Required for:

  • Air conditioning unit and water heater replacements
  • Building demolition
  • Bulkheads, piers, docks, boat houses, and riprap (new and repairs)
  • Driveway, sidewalks, or patio replacements and expansions (paving)
  • Electrical reconnections (modification or repair)
  • Fill, grading, and clearing of land
  • Foundation repairs and readjustments
  • Gas reconnections (modification or repairs)
  • House or building moving
  • Mobile food vendors
  • New roofs and roof repairs
  • Patio covers, porches, or sun rooms
  • Permanent and temporary signs and banners
  • Photo voltaic solar array and backup generators
  • Pipeline permits
  • Short term rentals
  • Siding, stucco, and brick repair and replacement
  • Storage buildings, storage enclosures, and louver walls
  • Swimming pools, including hot tubs and spas over 24" deep
  • Trade work - electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire, irrigation modification or additions
  • Tree removal (when applicable per city ordinance)
  • Window and door installation and replacement

Permit applications and documentation may be submitted by email.


Contractors working in the City of Seabrook are required to register with the Building Department. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Download and complete the Contractor’s Registration Application form.
  2. Submit the following documents for approval before starting any work:
    • Completed Contractor’s Registration Application
    • Proof of Insurance with the City of Seabrook listed as a Certificate Holder (sent directly from the insurance provider)
      • Minimum Coverage: $100,000 occurrence / $300,000 aggregate
    • Color Copy of the Driver’s License of the State Licensee or Owner of the Company being registered.
    • Color Copy of State License (Responsible Master) or other required state licenses (if applicable).

Fire, Plumbing, and Electrical contractors, as per Texas State Law, do not pay registration fees but must still register to obtain permits.

The Company Owner, Master, or other required license holders can complete the registration process in person at the Seabrook Public Works Complex, located at 1100 Red Bluff Road, Seabrook, Texas 77586, or provide a letter of release to the Building Department. The letter should be on the company's letterhead and include a list of authorized persons allowed to pull permits in the company’s name or under their Master's license.

Submitting Plans

When submitting plans for review, please follow these guidelines:

  1. Download and complete the permit application.
  2. Provide one (1) digital copy of plans and supporting documents.
  3. Email completed permit applications and plan documentation to the permitting department.

Once approved, a digital set of city-approved plans will be returned for construction and inspection. For large commercial projects (more than 30 Arch D or E size sheets), the contractor must also submit one (1) paper set of city-approved plans to the Building Department.

Ensure that plans are accurately drawn to scale. Submit necessary proof of compliance from other agencies (G.L.O., Army Corp, TDLR, Harris County Health, etc.) at the time of submittal.

The review time is approximately 7-10 business days for residential and miscellaneous projects and about 14-21 business days for commercial projects. For further assistance and information, please call (281) 291-5669.

Permit applications and plan documentation may be emailed to the permitting department..